Reopening In-Person Programming
June 18, 2020
From Mandy Davis, LCSW, PhD, Director, Trauma Informed Oregon
This vlog focuses on specific in-person programming as we reopen during COVID-19.
This video is 12:54 minutes long.
Just a few ideas and thoughts as you plan for reopening in-person programming.
- Take care of all of the health protocols, then look at them through a lens of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and Trauma Informed Care.
- Step up your customer service. Allow more time for first-time drop offs. Have a designated person to welcome and explain changes.
- Have the right people – those who are trusted – to deliver messages about new protocols, etc.
- Have a script prepared for what to say when someone needs to be reminded of a new protocol (hand washing, mask wearing, etc.). Make sure this is consistent across staff.
- Communication needs to be direct, provided in multiple ways (hear it, see it, read it), repeated, and delivered by a trusted source.
- Think of creative ways to remind people to follow health protocols (e.g. signs, songs, scripts, etc.). Avoid shaming, calling out, or stigmatizing someone.
- Talk about COVID-19 (in culturally, linguistically, and developmentally appropriate ways) and other events that are important. Do not ignore the elephant the room.
- Have time to debrief how things went with staff and those served.