There are people throughout Oregon who are available to train on a variety of trauma informed care related topics. Trainers may be found within organizations, communities, universities, colleges and may be part of a national organization or a private practitioner. This document provides both reflective questions and interview questions to help you find the best fit.
Consider these questions prior to exploring training options to help focus your search. Sharing some of your responses with potential trainers is often helpful.
- Who has already been trained, on what topics, and how recently?
- Who do you want trained (providers, administration, partners, service participants)?
- How much time can you give (One day, one hour, multiple trainings over time)?
- What are your hopes for training?
- Get people excited about TIC (internal staff and/or community partners)
- Have participants knowledgeable in foundation content?
- Provide in-depth knowledge on a specific topic (epigenetics, PTSD)?
- Participants can practice skills?
- Learn a trauma specific practice?
- What resources do you have (money, space, technology)?
- What are audience preferences/needs to promote a successful training (language, culture, method of presenting information, time of day, length, child care needs, food)?
Use the following questions as a guide when you talk to a potential trainer to assess if they are the right fit.
- Which core components are/are not included in your training (how in-depth)?
- Have you trained on this before and if so where?
- What do you recommend for a successful training?
- For whom are your trainings most relevant?
- What can the audience expect to learn from your training?
- Can you provide references?
- Logistics: how many can attend (min/ max), cost and what this includes, technology needed?
- How do you create a safe, TI training environment? Anything you need from us?
- How can you make the training relevant for my staff?
- Can you provide a bio and description of the training, including learning objectives?
- Do you have suggestions for how we should market the training?
- Have you trained audiences (insert information about your audience e.g. receptionists, bus drivers, bi-lingual staff, youth)?